Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Phil Robinson
    Participant

Guy Thompson 28 Renovation

Many years ago I used to build the popular Leisure 17’s in a Nissan hut at the back of Stansted airport.
      Last year, my wife and I successfully renovated a sorry looking Snapdragon 23 which we still own and use.
      However, we are now also the owners of a very sorry but quite important boat from the designs of “one off” prolific designer Guy Thompson 28, who also designed the production boats, T24, T27 and T31.
      This particular boat is different as she is long keel for ocean sailing, compared to most of his production boats which were fin keel.
      He also was well tied to the Royal Burnham yacht club, where he designed racing yachts in the earlier years.
      She was originally sailed across the Atlantic and spent much of her life on the Canadian great lakes, after which she was sailed back and placed on Windemere.
      Sadly, the last owners neglected her due to ill health, and so we have taken the boat on with the intent on making her Ocean fit aagain. In 1995 she had a new Yanmar 1GM10 inboard fitted to replace an old petrol engine. Much work to do, but it’s progress will be shown on here until she is back in the land of the living.We love boats with stories to tell.

Louis
      Keymaster

Amazing Lionel – I’m really looking forward to seeing some more photos 😀

Louis
        Keymaster

Is it fibreglass this one ?

Phil Robinson
          Participant

It’s GRP/Ply. A little work to do to strengthen the superstructure, at the cabin entrance, but nothing major. She just needs looking after again.

Phil Robinson
            Participant

The Maldon & Burnham standard are running a story on her, and hopefully they may find somebody associated with her design or build. This is what she should look like when done.

Phil Robinson
              Participant

Well, a little more on the history of Guy Thompson. He was an employee of the bank of England in Threadneedle st in the 50’s/60’s. Whilst “working” there he discovered an unused cellar room, where he started designing racing yachts and other yachting designs.
                After his retirement, they found this room crammed with Yacht designs and drawings. I have today emailed the bank of England Museum to see if there is a long chance of any of this stuff still about. It’s a fabulous story, and one I intend to get to the bottom of.

David Hanks
                Participant

Following this

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.