Winner Baronet MK2 Renovation by Mike
I found the boat on Facebook marketplace and bought her on a whim. I believe she is a Winner Baronet Mk2; though from her condition when I bought her it was hard to tell.
To drum up some inspiration I went about watching Youtube videos on boat renovations. From there I began to strip out the hull.
I replaced the deck with new marine plywood and fibreglassed it in for longevity. I also added anti-slip paint. The boat would mainly be used for fishing so It was decided I needed more deck space and less of the cab. My next job was to cut out and shorten part of the cab and move all the controls to suit.
A new wiring loom for the fish finder was created along with sonar, radio,lights etc again with the help of youtube.
To rejuvenate the paintwork it had to be stripped back. The inside of the boat was painted cream and the antifoul black.
The rest of the exterior was painted cream apart from the top of the cabin which was painted red.
When I bought her I was told the engine was in good running order and had just been fully serviced.
Being nieve I took the sellers word for it!
I downloaded the workshop manual and set to work soon figuring out that it simply wasn’t the case!
In fact, the engine had a bent valve,two broken valve springs and a huge crack in the gear casing that had been hidden with car body filler and painted over,
I completely stripped the top end of the engine and rebuilt it and replaced all the main power cables and fuel lines,
I'm currently waiting to find out if it’s possible to have the crack welded but is looking unlikely.
If they can repair it then i will be able to launch the boat within the next week or two. If they can’t I will have to wait until i can find a replacement.