Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Marc
    Participant

This project has legs! (See what I did there?) I needed a 1-day job to get back in the zone and thought fitting the legs would be a great place to start. Apart from having no idea where I put any of my tools it all went pretty well. This is only the first part, now the measuring and first fitting is done I need to:
      1. Machine delrin inserts for the main pins
      2. Design and fit the ply backers to take the chainplate and leg loads
      3. Template and cut the main bulkhead
      4 Move boat to somewhere less squishy in the winter.

How hard can that possibly be?
      Have a great weekend folks

Marc
      Participant

I’ve spent the evening doodling a rough idea for the internal structure around the legs and chainplates before popping it into the computer for a stress test. They wouldn’t really be used if there was a ridiculous swell as that would probably damage the keel so the loads on them are just to stop the boat falling over. That said I like a bit of over engineering around the chainplates. Originally the chain plates were just bolted through the hull, it’s 9mm thick in that area so most of what I’m trying to do is limit flex inwards and twist rather than take the entire weight of the boat. Looking forward to making the lathe earn it’s keep on the delrin bits, it’s so satisfying to machine. The only real downside to delrin as an engineering plastic is nothing sticks to it including epoxy so a mechanical fixing and sealant is needed. On the plus side, I can carry a spare and swap it out if one gets damaged

Attachments:
        Louis
        Keymaster

Hey Marc, for the non-sailors out there, can you explain what is you’re doing with the legs? Love the idea. My motor cruiser is the semi-displacement single keel, so the thought of grounding out in the channel terrifies me, obviously I have no intention in letting it happen! Not having bilge keels, is a definite con. Are the legs to be used on hardstanding only? or are they for dry berths? Also, the mud in the channel and surrounding is so bad that your leg might sink/plunge through it like butter. What if your leg was to get stuck in the mud or on a rock?

Marc
          Participant

Of course! you’re totally right the legs aren’t for the muddy Bristol channel (a few beaches are an exception) they are mainly for when we head south towards the drying harbours of north Devon and Cornwall with the added bonus of having a built in yacht cradle for winter. The legs will have dedicated stowage in the rear locker and be removable and mountable underway buy using the spinnaker halyard to make sure they don’t get dropped.

I figure if its muddy enough for the legs to sink the keel will also sink and we’ll just end up with a muddy bottom.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.